The Sophic Standard Plain
We are proud to hold such high standards when it comes to the ingredients in our products and how they are produced.
Every SOPHIC product is:
- Free from all known or suspected toxins > see our list of toxins you will not find in SOPHIC products
- Cruelty free
- Made without exploitation or harm to people or animals > see our stance on palm oil
- Verified for all claims such as 'organic', 'cruelty free', 'bamboo', 'biodegradable' > see claims you will not find at SOPHIC
- Longer lasting than the alternative, thus saving resources and pollution
- Made by a reputable person or business with a story to tell
- Made to embrace and enhance your own beauty/authentic self > see our stance on marketing
When selecting ingredients, materials and anything associated with our products we consider:
- Plastic - we want to eliminate the use of single-use plastic
- Unnecessary packaging
- Where does it come from? - Purchasing from Australia means less carbon emissions and supporting our economy
- Grown and manufactured in a sustainable way
List of toxins you will not find in Sophic products
- Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate or Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES)
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS)
- Sodium Chloride
- Polyethylene Glycols (PEG)
- Diethanolamine (DEA)
- Triethanolamine (TEA) - Is used to alter the pH of the products and act as an emulsifier to help other ingredients mix together better.
- Alcohol - Almost all hair-care products contain some form of alcohol as it's used for it's evaporation qualities.. Short chain alcohols are the ones to steer clear of - SD Alcohol 40, Ethanol, Propyl, Porpanol, Isopropyl.
- Synthetic Fragrances
- Synthetic Colors
- Dimethicone - Is a synthetic polymer and a form of silicone with two methyl groups attached (hence the name Di-methicone). It's present in most haircare products as it's cheap and creates synthetic softness and smoothing.
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine
- Retinyl Palmitate
- Phthalates - Are a cluster of chemicals used in hundreds to increase the flexibility and softness of plastics. The main phthalates in haircare are dimethyl phthalate often found in hair spray.
- PVP/ VA Copolymer - Is a synthetic vinyl polymer used in haircare as a filler or binder. It is another toxic chemical derived from petroleum and is used as it's considered the ‘ideal’ styling aid.
- Silicones -
- Behentrimonium Chloride - Also known as Docosyltrimethylammonium chloride this chemical can be found in some conditioners. It is harsh enough to cause skin and eye irritation in many people.
- Mineral oils - petroleum
Our stance on palm oil
- Palm oil
Greenwashing claims you will not find at SOPHIC
As consumers are becoming smarter about the products they are buying, there is a lot of pressure being put on hair and skin care brands to be more socially and environmentally responsible. In an industry that does not have strict regulations for what goes in the products, we can see brands making claims to make consumers happy however, not actually delivering these claims in their products. Due to the pandemic, we have noticed a spike in organic/natural products as our health, safety and happiness become a top priority. Buzz words like organic, sulfate free are intended to convince you to buy their product. Below is a list of claims you will not find at Sophic.
- Our colour is 100% organic
Until regulations are more stringent and protective, it’s up to consumers to find the safest options.
- We feel strongly about beauty… none of our images touch up/alter any of the models faces. To be beautiful, is to embrace and love your body, mind, spirit just as it is.